Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Oakley Rodeo

It's become a tradition. The Oakley Rodeo for the 4th of July. I love it. I love the beautiful drive up the canyon. I love the stop at Flippin' Burgers beforehand for our pre-rodeo fair food. I love the cool mountain air. I love my cowboys. I love the animals. I love that this year was a breast cancer awareness rodeo and that the cowboys wore pink in support. I love wearing my jeans and my cowboy hat. I love that it takes me back to my high school days in San Antonio, Texas. And I love being with my family. So...you can imagine my surprise and disappointment when Christian told me he wasn't a fan of the rodeo and didn't want to go! What?!! How does this happen? Doesn't he know you don't mess with tradition? With my tradition. How was I supposed to respond to this announcement/betrayal? I'll tell you how I responded. I let him stay home. I gave his ticket to Brittney's happy friend. And I missed him like crazy. This 'letting- your- kids- grow- up- and- make- their- own- choices' thing is tough. When we got home and I casually asked him about his night, he responded that it hadn't been all that fun and that he might-just might-be willing to join us at the rodeo next year. For tradition's sake, I can only hope.

Nothing quite like a good burger and cheese fries to get you in the mood for tight jeans and big belt buckles.
Pat and Jodi
She's 5 foot, he's 6'4"

See this smile? Hailee loves her cowboys.


I took this picture of the cowboy but when I downloaded it, I noticed that all the people in the background are our good friends. I think they call that a 'fun coincidence'.

Oh. And one more thing. I love the fireworks show at the end.
It was everything I had hoped it would be. (Minus my boy)

No comments: