Friday, August 13, 2010

Going on a PAIR hunt

One of my kid's favorite books for me to read to them when they were little was the classic, We're Going on a Bear Hunt. They loved the sing-song prose that would repeat each time a challenge was encountered during their adventures in trying to find a bear: "Can't go over it, can't go under it, got to go through it."

For much of my little sister's adult life she has been on a hunt. A hunt to find that person who would take her from individual "Jodi status" to a Pair. The perfect pair. Certainly it has been quite an adventure. An adventure with twists and turns and challenges that would make anybody want to "go back." But as is often discovered with all of life's challenges, you "can't go over them, you can't go under them. You've just got to go through them." And go through them she did....

Ick! Divorce. Heartbreaking, painful, divorce. Can't go over it, can't go under it. Got to go through it.
Oh no! Single parenting! Exhausting, challenging, single parenting! Can't go over it, can't go under it. Got to go through it.
Yikes! Financial concerns! Scary, hairy financial concerns! Can't go over them. can't go under them. Got to through them.
Uh oh! Dating. Awkward, yucky dating! Can't go over it, can't go under it. Got to go through it.

And so it went. Through the hills and valleys, highs and lows, of trying to find her match and make that perfect pair. All the while getting stronger and smarter and more determined (and beautiful) with each challenge she plowed
through.

Until finally: She found one! A loving, tender, honest, faithful, gem of a man! Also a father. To
his three beautiful children and then to Jodi's two as well.

Last Thursday, Pat took Jodi by the right hand, looked her in the eyes and promised to be by her side forever. And in that moment their joyous family witnessed Pat and Jodi go from strong, incredible individuals to a strong, incredible pair. Who, with their children, Madi, and Issy and Miles and Caleb and Sophie, make a strong, incredible family.

Not just a family but a team! An energetic, willing TEAM! Ready to take on this adventure called life. Certainly there will be challenges. Messy, crappy challenges. But they know by now that you can't go over them. You can't go under them. You just have to go THROUGH them.

you may now kiss the bride



sophie mae


The new and improved family
Jodi noticed Issy was crying. Because she "was so happy," she said.
Pat's brother, Kelly brings color and flair to this family





Miles; Pat's youngest
Dang he's cute!
Madi, Pat's oldest, is autistic. She is absolutely lovely and so easy to be around. Every day she takes on a new persona. Everything from animals to Disney characters like "Chip" the little teacup in Beauty and the Beast. On this day- the day of the wedding- she was Pig. Something that she very loudly reminded the Bishop of during the ceremony. Madi can usually be found "tapping." Anything that she can find that will make noise on the ground. Today it was plastic silverware.
Cousin Brooke and baby Eli
The Brothers D: My dad, Doug, and his twin brother, Dave. Can I just tell you that when these two get together they are a whirlwind of productivity? One call. That's all. And these brothers showed up at my house and cleared out dead tree branches, moved trampolines and BBQs and had my pavilion looking so pristine I considered sleeping there.

I think I've mentioned that Pat is tall. Apparently tall people attract other tall people (which would explain why my family doesn't see too many). Pat played basketball in college. He has kept in touch with some of his teammates.
My aunts Vicki and Diane. Vicki, her daughter Michelle, my sister Kelli and Hailee spent an entire day at my house tying ribbon on everything they could see.
Jodi's Caleb is probably the most tender, loving boy you'll ever meet. He has made it his mission to take good care of his mom and sister for these past years. These two have a special bond.
Jodi thanked Pat's cousin for taking her color scheme so literally. What amazing support.

From L to R: Uncle Dick, Kelli's hubby, Brandt and cousin Tina's Brad. These guys are my favorite. Dick spent 3 days power washing my driveway. Twice. And as is apparent here, he also has a nutty sense of humor.
Hailee's friend, Sara, Hailee and Kate. They glow. It's crazy to think that there will weddings for them in the not so distant future.


Brides have to eat too, ya know!
To my beautiful sister: I hope you know how thrilled I am for you and how much I love you. I am so grateful for your example of strength and perseverance. It has been so fun for me to see your happy glow these last several months. And I know that even those haven't been easy. But as we said, "happy doesn't mean easy." But we'll take it. I love you.

2 comments:

Lisa-Jayne Mutton said...

Wow!!! Everything looked beautiful Lori. Congratulations to Jodi & Pat. So happy for them both. x

Rebecca said...

Your yard looks gorgeous! Love the colors too! I think I recognize the Bishop... is it Todd Smith? Is that Jodi's bishop? Fun to see the details... typical amazing Lori style!