Saturday, January 14, 2012

Half Moon Bay



It had been Rebecca's huband, Vern's, dream for years. To find a group of guys that loved driving cars as much as he did and, with their wives, take a scenic road trip along California's Pacific Coast Highway. Then intersperse it with golf and good food. Not surprisingly, he didn't have to look far for takers. They were revving their engines.

And thus was born the road trip of all road trips....

Day 1: The boys took off driving for California's Half Moon Bay. We (their willing wives) flew out and met them there a day later.

Christian drove us to the airport. I think he was a little surprised at how excited 5 moms could get leaving behind their responsibilites (and a combined 22 kids) for a couple of days.

It was dusk at the end of October as we drove toward our hotel. Out the taxi window we could see bright oranges, yellows and greens of field after field of pumpkin patches. A slight mist was settling in with the sunset. It was an absolutely breathtaking sight. Turns out, Half Moon Bay is just the right climate for growing the perfect pumpkin. Hence, Half Moon Bay's biggest event of the year: The Pumpkin Festival! An event that serendipitously fell on the one full day we were in town.


While we were there, Jana introduced me to camera apps on my iphone. I don't think I read the whole trip-usually my entertainment of choice-I was way too enthralled with my new apps. And so...road trip pictures interspersed like special seasoning with iphone camera app pictures:


Safeway's World Championship Pumpkin Weigh-In took place that morning. The scale in the picture displays the heaviest pumpkin so far: 1,713 pounds. That had been beat by the end of the morning.

Alyse
Rebecca
enthusiastic festival goers

lunch
Jana took this photo from her hotel room window. Un-believable!
enthusiastic wives in front of the hotel

Jana



the most enthusiastic group of all: the car drivers
L to R: Sean, Chuck, Vern, Kyle, Mark, and Jordan

These last 2 photos are courtesy of Jana: I think this next one is my favorite: Rebecca and Kelly in a display of what became indicitive of the whole trip. Who knew I could come to love these girls even more than I already did?

No comments: