Saturday, May 14, 2011

London Love Part III

Paddington Station to Oxford
What is it about Paddington Bear that I love? One of my regrets in life is that I don't have anything that I collect. I have friends that collect the tiny spoons from each place they visit, one that collects tea cups and napkin rings, and one that collects a Christmas tree ornament at every location and everything Lucille Ball. Can I collect Paddington Bear?
If Brittney could, I think she would collect a cookie, a cupcake or a chocolate bar from each location. Oh wait. She did.

Brittney's study abroad group took a day trip to Oxford. I skyped with her the weekend after her visit when she was still on an Oxford high. She mentioned that she thought I would love it. I held out hope we would go back. We did. And I did. Love it. From the minute we stepped off the train to a station that was filled with more bikes than I've ever seen in my life. We caught the double decker tour bus and with Brittney's suggestions picked our stops along the way. The first stop was the Alice in Wonderland shop. After a stop in this fun store I thought that maybe I should collect all things Alice.



My daughter is a huge Harry Potter fan so it came as no surprise to me that she loved Christ Church college where much of the movie was filmed or used in their repicas. This is the..something...
And the Great Hall (a.k.a. Hogwarts Hall). With paintings of all of the Oxford Greats on the walls. Including Charles Dodgson (a.k.a. Lewis Caroll). Dodgson used Alice, the daughter of the Dean, to inspire his Alice in Wonderland stories. By the way, students still eat three meals a day here. (I asked because there was salt and pepper spilled on the tables).
The Cathedral is the college chapel.

Really, really cool but hard to walk on.
We climbed some very skinny stairs to get this view...the locals claimed it was their warmest April on record. Lucky us!


Lunch....
I loved the colors. I need an excuse to come back here. I wonder if we can get Christian into Oxford? With a scholarship?


No comments: