Sunday, May 8, 2011

London Love Part I

A little over a week ago Jordan and I landed at the Heathrow London airport. It was 7:30 a.m. local time and 11:30 p.m. for our home body clocks. We were exhausted and knew we had a full day ahead of us but we were giddy with excitement. We got through customs and immediately began to scan the crowds for a familiar face. One we hadn't seen for four months. Our oldest daughter was nowhere to be seen. So we waited. And waited. Jordan had her paged over the intercom but the accent was so thick that I missed it and I knew it was coming. I had very little faith that Brittney heard it.
In the meantime I soaked in my surroundings. Since my camera was packed away safely in my suitcase, I pulled out my phone and snapped this image of a proper English bloke enjoying his morning tea. About this time I looked up to see Brittney casually walking toward me carrying a huge backpack, a Krispy Kreme donut, and a People magazine. Totally Brittney. No rush.
There was a flood of emotion as Brittney made eye contact and then melted into my arms. Four months of growing pains and gains came rushing to the surface. We were 4.000 miles away in Great Britain but it felt so good to have my daughter home.
The first stop the cab driver made on the way to our hotel was the London Center where Brittney spent the last quarter of the year. It was a gorgeous old walk-up just a few blocks away from the notorious Hyde Park. There was not a soul inside and so I pulled the phone out again to document for myself where my girl had been as she created so many wonderful memories.
Her bunk room that she shared with 7 girls. And this is the same girl that has a hard time sharing a hallway with someone.
The dinning hall. Many a not-so-memorable meals according to Britt.
The view from the upstairs window. Would you look at that window!
The library.
The Home Teacher's room. Or in their case, the Devotional/Fireside room. Fabulous!
It was now 8:30 a.m. and the fun was just beginning....

No comments: