Saturday, January 8, 2011

Mind the Gap...




..words that seemed helpful-almost humorous- when we heard them repeated over and over again as Jordan and I waited with our two girls for the London public transportation system-The Tube. The year was 2005 and I had a firm grip on the whereabouts of all my children. Brittney was 15 and had just performed with her harp group at the World Harp Congress in Ireland. We had decided to use our opportunity to be in Europe to do a little traveling before we headed home. London was our last stop. The girls were eating it up. The sights, the sounds, the people, the food...ahhh...especially the food. And I was enjoying the naivety that comes from being a young mom and thinking that I would always have that firm grasp on the whereabouts of my children.


Fastforward to Tuesday, January 5th, 2011. Those same words of 6 years ago come back to me. Mind the Gap. Today those words don't seem nearly as helpful-or humorous. This time we're talking about a GAP of about 4,500 miles. Brittney leaves for a four month study abroad in London, England. I no longer have a firm grip on anything. Let alone the whereabouts of my children.

As it turned out, I was scheduled for an early morning experimental drug infusion for scleraderma and so while I was doing this..



















Jordan was sending me these:

























I lamented to an "empty nester" friend recently that our house was noticeably quieter with both of the girls away at college. "The more independence my children gain from me the less value I feel," I whined. "I'm not sure anymore what my real purpose is!"

His answer has been ringing in my ears ever since. "That is exactly your purpose," he said. "To raise your kids so they can leave."

Mother hearts beware: Mind the Gap.

2 comments:

sarah jane. said...

...i hate this. haha

Sarie said...

It is sad for you... but as a young lady I would have LOVED to have the opportunity to go do study abroad in London.. or anywhere for that matter. You are giving her an experience that she will carry with her her entire life! But still, I know, I know.