Friday, September 24, 2010

(post edit: Labor Day! Not Memorial Day. Thanks, mom)

This year's Memorial Day weekend was probably my favorite ever. And I started out pouting. We had made arrangements to have the family condo in Park City. The whole family had assured me their schedules were cleared and they were excited to go. Since I was already in Park City for Swiss Days, I waited for the family to arrive Friday evening -excited to have my whole crew together again. And then...one by one my kids discovered they had other (better) plans. I was bugged. And hurt. That night I was joined by Jordan and Gabe. We had planned on meeting up with friends and I worried that they, too, were going to be disappointed in our small numbers. But then I received a little perspective from the wise council of my friend who turned out to be experiencing a similar scenario on her end. "I've decided that I'm going have a fabulous weekend and carry out all of my plans with whomever decides wants to join me." So instead of wallowing, I decided to join her in her attitude. And wouldn't you know it...the rest of the family decided to join us as well.


We gathered with friends, breakfasted on the patio, rode bikes (down the mountain and rode the bus back up the mountain-it was perfect!), we swam and played tennis and attended the art market and the sheep dog calling competition and played a rousing game of "Guess Who" with friends..all the while Radman kids trickled in...until late Saturday night we were once again a unit. Complete. And my heart swelled with love and contentment as I witnessed my family loving each other and loving being together. I loved seeing a teenage brother confiding in his older sister, chivalrous acts from my sons with doors held open and compliments given, hours of tennis played with dad and brothers and sisters and the sharing of sleeping space and secrets each night.

Recently a friend shared this quote by Elder Marlin K. Jensen:
Sometimes after an enjoyable family home evening, or during a fervent family prayer or when our entire family is at the dinner table on Sunday evening eating waffles and engaging in lively, good-natured conversation, I quietly say too myself, "If heaven is nothing more than this, it will be good enough for me!"

As I looked around that weekend, that is exactly how I felt. It was like experiencing a little slice of Heaven. As lovely as that weekend was, I know that my kids are growing up and gaining their independence from us-their parents. That is exactly as it should be. If you've read any of my posts, you are probably aware that I am a little possessive of my time with my family. I want them with me. With any one of my children gone, it changes the dynamics in the home dramatically. The noise and excitement level drops with each exit, and I am left to contemplate my purpose in the silence remaining. It is a process. I am learning. And part of that learning process is allowing my kids to learn on their own-sans me. But be aware...I plan on savoring every minute in between.

We woke up to a hot air balloon launch right outside of our condo.

My favorite season starts now in Park City. The cool mountain air, the colors...ahhh...I was in heaven.




1 comment:

Kris/Mom said...

love your blog! you are amazingly creative. - Just one thing to correct- Memorial Day to Labor Day.