Sunday, September 27, 2009

She's Baaack...



That's right folks. My niece is back for her final season of high school soccer as a senior. This time as a co-captan of her team,the Braves. We drove up for the game against our high school soccer team. She was playing hard, but I noticed a slight limp and a little bit of a pained expression on her face. I was thinking about calling a "time out." (I think if you're an aunt you can do that).


But then this happened: Kate and her teammate went up to head the ball at the same time. I didn't see it happen (because I was looking through the lens trying to find her) but I did see her lay on the field after in a crumpled little heap. The other player hopped up laughing. Kate didn't move. Let's be honest here, folks. My kids-not the toughest. Kate-tough. For a second I couldn't breath.

Slowly, she pulled herself up and told the ref she was ready to play. I confess that at this point I was thinking not nice thoughts about the coach that left her in the game. I wanted to rescue. The coach wanted her to become stronger. Hmmm...I wonder if there is any sort of life lesson we can glean from this?

See that scoreboard? That's what happens when you stay in the game.


I also went to get my "Jilly-fix." She wraps her little arms around you and for a second you feel like the most important person in the world.

But then you notice that it is a gift she offers to everyone. (For example, I have no idea who that girl is)
Hailee and Maddie are cousins, supporters and spectators (just not always of the game).

No comments: