Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The view from here

Dad loved the mountains. I don't know that his original plan would have ever involved leaving them. Being drafted to serve during the Vietnam War changed the course of all of our lives forever. One very obvious way was leaving Utah never to live again until his retirement. Living all across the United States and Europe was an adventure to be sure and there was beauty specific to every place we lived, but dad always lamented about missing "his" mountains. Upon retirement, he nestled himself and mom in the foothills of one of Utah's beautiful mountain ranges and I cozied up to another. Apparently, one of the genetic gifts I received from dad was a large dose of the "mountain needing" gene. It probably sounds a little corny, but I feel strength from these mountains. Their beauty lifts me and inspires me. Each season the mountain transforms into a new kaleidoscope of colors, shapes and textures that is breathtakingly beautiful. Sometimes when life seems to be pressing harder than I think I can tolerate, I have looked to the mountain and asked for a small portion of it's strength.

One of the many little gifts from our remodel was being able to capture this view from a new master bedroom window. My first thought when I walked up to this new window opening?

Dad would love this view.

And so it is...a new gift..now when I look at "my" mountains I see not only beauty and strength but I can feel dad there too.



Pat can finally "fit." I tell him all the time, that his 6'5" giantness is the reason for the remodel. Until his marriage to my "little" sister, the average hight around here was about 5'4".
Anne-Marie and Jeff-the-builder discuss options for that little hole in the wall. I guess her mom never told her not to draw on the walls. I love, love these two people.
The "roof solution." Is is called a shed roof? I think the window are so dang cute.
The basement stairs. The risers are far from even. There is a combination of 6", 7" and 8" risers. Do we fix them? Make them all even? Or set up a hidden video camera to entertain ourselves with video of all of the people that seem to trip coming up the stairs?

No comments: