Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Miles

My sister sent me this photo she took on her iphone the other day. I love it so much I just had to share it. When Jodi married Pat last August, she became a step-mother to 3 more children. (Jodi has 2 of her own). Miles is the youngest of those step-children. Miles was adopted at birth and is one of the most loving and content children I know. I know that it helps that he feels so much consistency from his dad and that Jodi is as warm and loving a mother to Pat's children as she is to her own. At times I have wondered if he even knows that he is different. He's black. They're all white. Does he feel that? Does it bother him?

Miles drew a chalk family portrait on the driveway. He is flanked by Jodi and Pat. (Pat's easy to pick out and draw because he is bald). When Jodi asked Miles why he was a different color than everyone else he told her it was because he was! "Because I'm BLACK, Jodi!" Like..DUH?!
So he is aware. And his smile is just as big as everyone else's in the picture. Just because you're a different color doesn't mean that you feel less loved or less a part of the family. Family isn't about being the same...because we're not. Family means having differences and cherishing and celebrating them together.

1 comment:

Kris/Mom said...

Love this - and love your comments