Wednesday, December 29, 2010

"Out of small and simple things...


are great things brought to pass." That was the message accompanying a beautiful acorn necklace and given to me by a friend at the beginning of November. I thought a lot about that sentiment. I have always loved acorns-mostly I think because they are part of the beauty of the autumn season that I love so much-but I don't think I ever really gave a lot of thought to what they might represent. Suddenly I was noticing seemingly small (and simple) acts and could follow them through to their grand end. Seemingly small things like... a friend who makes it a point to rub lotion on my dry, hardened hands 3 times a week. Or busy moms who enthusiastically and willingly agree to help with a ward party during the craziest time of year. Or a ward that caught the vision of giving and service and donated generously of their means to help others in need. Or a clerk at Home Depot who went out of her way to brighten everyone's day who had the privilege of going through her check out line. Or attending a weekly scripture class with a teacher who, through her study and enthusiasm, has planted a seed of love and understanding of Isiahi's words. Small things really. And yet so big. But what is my contribution? I am guilty of often thinking that bigger is better. And in the case of Christian's ACT score or storage space, that may be true-but so little else really falls into that category. (And those two things are even debatable). Point is..I know I just need to make an effort. Regardless of how seemingly small it may seem at the time. Send the thank you note. Park at the end of the lot and walk. Have a water instead of a diet coke. Give sympathy when "someone" isn't feeling well. All tiny acorns of effort but possibly with giant oak results.

Jill is my favorite acorn. She make look tiny, but the love she gives is oh, so BIG!


  • Hosted my family+Kelli's in-laws+Uncle Dick and Michelle for Thanksgiving. Loved it.
  • Made two turkeys. Overcooked one and undercooked the other.
  • Had apple spice cake and pumpkin streussel instead of pies for dessert. YUM!
  • Saw Tangled. New favorite movie.
  • Had a little "hostess neurosis" and set down my camera two minutes after everyone came and then never picked it up again. Hence..no pics.
Sure, Kelli's salad is beautiful but so are her biceps!

Cousin Kate the roommate, Hailee, Michelle

1 comment:

Lisa-Jayne Mutton said...

I read your blog too Lori :)