Sunday, September 18, 2011

We have ourselves an Eagle.

An Eagle Scout, that is. And I'm related. Which is kind of saying something because Christian is the first scout to earn the rank of "Eagle" in our family. Apparently, that is a rank only 2% of scouters actually earn. And believe me when I tell you that I know why that percentage seems so low. Earning your "Eagle" is no easy task.

Most Eagle Scouts will tell you that they owed that achievement to the constant perseverance of their parents (i.e. mother). Not so, in Christian's case. Supportive and encouraging maybe, but this boy had scout and young men leaders that mentored him every step of the way and he followed it through to the end.

Unfortunately he didn't get to keep this eagle:

("impressive number of merit badges he has" the eagle seems to be thinking...)
"Impressive eagle," Christian and Erick seem to be thinking... (by the way...that screen at the front of the stage was where they showed the impressive slide show presentation put together by Christian's impressively talented sister, Hailee)
Christian, Scott, Nick and Nick supported each other....

Dick Pollei, scouter extraordinaire, presents the boys with the tradtional engraved pocket knife. "I can't wait until Dick demonstates how sharp this knife is by shaving a patch on his arm," Christian seems to be thinking...
Gabe is ready to start on his eagle project. We just have to figure out what that is exactly.
I love a boy in a uniform.
The cheering section...
Robert Gardiner will go straight to heaven for his service and sacrifice and goodness and perserverence on behalf of all of these boys.

I could not have asked for a better "villiage" -of which Robert was a large part-to help raise my children.
Savannah was one of Christian's favorite supporters.
And Henry... who raised 10 children of his own. I can't believe he came and sat in that HOT gym for an hour and a half to show his support to these neighborhood boys. Bless you, Henry.
"Impressive ice cream cups brought by Christian's impressive mother," these two seem to be thinking...
"I'm so glad I finished my eagle project so I could get my driver's liscense and not have to ride around on this scooter forever," Christian seems to be thinking... (Haha....)

No comments: